2nd Video DV Book

thank-you for all your support recently, we’ve had about 200+ people sign up and show interest in the book.  feel free to share the link with your customers, and people who are still unsure about the data vault, these videos should help ease any tension.

we’ve released the second video in the series, and you can make comments on facebook if you’d like.  we’ve also released parts of the national drug code data vault (ddl and raw source files) for you to download for free, to try it out.

the link for facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dan.linstedt#!/pages/learn-data-vault-by-dan-linstedt/125784174146671

the link for registering for the videos and the book is:

if you comment on facebook, and vote for your favorites, the top 5 comments (voted by you) will receive the national drug code informatica 8.6.1 xml loading code for the staging area, and the data vault for free.

thanks,
dan linstedt

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “2nd Video DV Book”

1. Raphael Klebanov 2011/01/11 at 10:03 am #

Hi Dan,

Thanks again for the great second video and the Chapter 2 of your future book. This is a “tease” for all Data Vault enthusiasts waiting for the whole book to be available. I recommend this video and Chapter (as well as the previous one) to all my business contacts and colleagues.

–Raphael

2. Hennie de Nooijer 2011/01/16 at 10:03 am #

Hi Dan,

First, thanks for writing and showing more about Datavault! Keep on going with your mission!

I’ve read your first chapter and i would like to ask you some questions about ontologies and DV. When i study ontologies and DV the resemblance is there, off course, but how are those two related to each other? How can we use the ontology approach in developing a DWH?

Ontologies categorizes the world around us, like cars, birds, houses, etc Is this only applicable to master data or also to process data?

Is a ontology model a logical model? And DV a physical model? What does the ontology model add more than the existing model techniques?

You said that ontologies are a critical succes factor for building a datawarehouse(chapter 1). Why? Can you give an example? If you state that it’s (a)critical (succes factor) than this means that ontologies should be used in a DW project or else your DW project will fail.

thanx,
    Hennie

3. Hennie de Nooijer 2011/01/17 at 5:20 am #

Hi Dan,

Not sure what happened but it seems that my yesterday post is gone. First, i would like to thank you for writing about Datavault. I have a few questions about ontologies. When i look at wikipedia i saw the resemblance with DV.

Could you explain more about ontologies and the datavault? How are those related to each other? How can we use ontologies with DV? How are ontologies related to modelling techniques we use nowadays? In my viewpoint ontologies describe the master data around us. What about transactional data?

And one final question about your statement in chapter 1 that ontologies are a critical factor for applying and building datawarehousing? Could you explain this a bit further?

Gr,
    Hennie

4. dlinstedt 2011/01/17 at 8:54 am #

Hi Raphael,

You are most welcome. I’m hoping to get Video #3 out very soon, which will provide Chapter 3. I greatly appreciate anyone (like you) willing to spread the word, this helps us tremendously.

Don’t forget the YouTube Channel for Business Executives: http://YouTube.com/LearnDataVault
    (those that want all the goodies and downloads MUST register here).

Thanks,
    Dan L

5. dlinstedt 2011/01/17 at 9:07 am #

Hi Hennie,

You are most welcome. Great questions by the way, and I hope in more videos that I will be producing with my friend Sanjay Pande, that I will have the chance to really uncover these ideas quite a bit more. Let me see if I can answer your questions quickly…

a) Yes, there is a resemblence. I relate ontologies/taxonomies to the Terminology or metadata we use to build data models. If you understand your business terms, or concepts, you can use those to create the hierarchies based on Importance and Classification. These metadata (business terms) are often what we call a logical model when we build a data model. On the other hand, since the Data Vault is based on Business Keys for a start, you can more effectively get the business keys for each conceptual layer in the hierarchy that you build.

In the video, I display one of many NDC hierarchies – I then flip fairly quickly to the physical modeling aspect of it by showing the Hub with the master business key, the Satellite descriptors, and the Links which hold the hierarchy together.

b) This is applicable to Master Data as well as helping you conceptualize the data model for the Data Vault. This is part of the “secret sauce” that my tool: RapidACE ( http://RapidACE.com ) uses to generate Data Vault models and a few other things. Because the Data Vault is one step in the master data process, you can apply Ontologies to the DV modeling process to speed it up.

c) In a way, yes, I see different ontologies as different logical models, the DV is “most often” a Physical model. The ontology model adds understanding of the terminology. It provides IT with a way to communicate the model to business users, and to get “order of importance” from business users. You see, business users fight over the definitions of their terms, not just because they USE them differently, but also because they each have a “different ontology” in their heads to represent the data. If you can show a common consistent reference model (ontology), then the level of understanding by business users greatly increases, and there is less arguing about how to define master data. Just remember: there are many different ontologies that can be applied to the same physical model.

d) I say critical success factor because of the impact it has on communication between IT and business stakeholders. If the stakeholders understand WHAT your building, they can more easily buy-in. They will feel more comfortable, and will usually no longer care HOW it’s built (ie: DV model) – as long as you’re flexible in the near future. Using an ontological representation of the model helps IT with transparency of the DV project. it also can serve as a modeling guide for what data is available to reports and so on. I’ll write up an example in the near future, as that would make another great video.

I did not mean to state that a DW project will fail without ontologies, maybe I used the wrong term to describe them. What I really meant is what I stated above, an increase in the chance of success if your money holders understand what your building, and you give them a way to think about it.

These are great questions, please keep them coming!

Thank-you everyone,
    Dan Linstedt

6. dlinstedt 2011/01/17 at 9:09 am #

Hi Hennie,

We have to approve each comment as they come through – we don’t want spammers pushing things that are unprofessional. I’ve explained the answers as best I could in a reply to your comment below.

Thank-you!
    Dan L
    PS: Please share the link http://learnDataVault.com with business users, managers, and executives